Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Warning: spicy language to follow. You have been warned...

Fuck WalMart. Fuck them right in the ear. Lately I've been hesitant to shop there due to questionable business practices that come to light from time to time. But now it looks like I'll be writing them off of my "places I will shop" list preminantly. Looks like I'm gonna be getting a Costco membership, too, even tho they fired me once (way back in the day when they were still Price Club). And I know that W is the biggest of big-business, so I shouldn't be surprised they're firmly entrenched with the 'publican party. And truthfully, I'm not surprised. Just seeing it all laid out before me kinda acted as a wake up call. Fuck them.

Here's the story that pushed me over the edge:
Rivalry between Wal-Mart, Costco also extends to national politics

Highlights:

"Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer and owner of Sam's Club warehouse stores, gives more money to Republican candidates than any other company."

"Wal-Mart (two-thirds of whose 3,580 stores are in the "red states" that voted for Bush in 2000) is backing White House policies on everything from trade to limiting overtime pay."

"Wal-Mart supports the Bush administration's expansion of free-trade agreements and its bid to curtail the number of workers eligible for overtime pay, according to its lobby disclosure reports."

"Wal-Mart has benefited from the president's opposition to raising the minimum wage, since some employees make less than $7 an hour, and from the Republican-controlled Congress's reluctance to make it easier for workers to unionize. Wal-Mart has no unions; about one-sixth of Costco's workers are represented by labor groups."

"Wal-Mart's political action committee, the biggest company PAC, gave Republicans 81 percent of its $1.3 million in donations in the past two years, a higher proportion than any of the top 25 corporate PACs, according to PoliticalMoneyLine, a nonpartisan Washington-based group."

"Wal-Mart and Costco aren't the only companies in the same industry whose executives are on opposing sides in the election. Google Inc. chief executive Eric Schmidt is backing Kerry, while Internet rival Yahoo Inc. chief executive Terry Semel endorsed Bush."

Looks like I'm should start using that gmail account and ween myself off of the Yahoo mail too.