Friday, January 28, 2005

Sad day



It just occurred to me (via a poll on Slashdot) that today is the 19th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger blowing up on takeoff. Man. 19 years. I remember it pretty well. I just happened to be home sick from high school that day. 10th grade. I was sitting in the recliner in the TV room, flipping channels when I came to the countdown for the launch. I'd seen tons of launches on TV before, but I figured since I was home, and I didn't want to watch other circa '86 daytime TV, I would leave it on. Pretty routine all the way up till the boosters were supposed to separate. I remember seeing it happen and thinking "that explosion is too big...those weren't just the boosters blowing off". I don't think I turned away from the TV for the rest of the day. I was pretty crushed. I'd always been (and still am) a space/NASA fanboy. My aunt worked for them for years, so I had (have) a closet full of patches and stickers and promo stuff that I still appreciate.

NASA has a tribute page up. Worth a look and a moment of remembrance.