Monday, March 27, 2006

The Beat



I had the chance to see The English Beat play in Annapolis last weekend. Before heading out to the event, I gave a call to the venu, the Ram's Head Tavern, to ask if they allowed cameras. They said it was up to the performer, and that The Beat was cool with it (no flash, however). Cool! So I took my camera, and my two fastest, bestest lenses and took shots from the crowd all night. (The Ram's Head is a seated, dinner-theater esque place, so shooting from our seats was pretty easy/fruitful).

The lighting was tough (as it is at most concerts). The lead singer, Dave Wakeling, (the only original member still in the band, I think) was well lit most of the night, but the other members of the band were usually hidden in shadows.

For the photo-nerds, I was shooting my 20D at ISO 3200 and f/2.8 all night. Even at that, I could have used more shutter speed, as a few of the shots are blurred. Post processing was mainly just cropping and resizing. I'm also trying to learn dodging and burning, so there was some occasional burning going on, to fade some stuff into the background. Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.pbase.com/gmr2048/english_beat_live_032006