Saturday, January 29, 2005

You ate what?

I love me some sushi. But I've made the rounds through all the beginner-level sushi. The salmons, the tunas, a shirmp thing, I've even gone all the way up to eel (one of my current favorites). So when we went out for sushi last night, I decided it was time to take the next step. Sea urchin. It's always been there on the menu, taunting me, daring me to do it. I'd never seen a picture, so I had an image in mind of a nice little sliver of something fish-like, tied to a little dab of rice. Thus:



Imagine my surprise when they brought out what appeard to be some orange sponge, wrapped in seaweed:



Needless to say, it was not what I was expecting. When you ate it, it had the consistancy of jelly. The flavor was really good, but stronger (more fishy) than the eel or tuna. I could eat it all the time, if it weren't for the feeling of cold mush in my mouth when I took a bite.

So, I just wanted to post up a quick warning for all my sushi-eatin' readers. Ask for the menu with the little pictures on it before venturing into new territory.