Sunday, December 12, 2004

So it seems the battle is lost (and I have to admit that I didn't do my part to prevent it):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles
/A58230-2004Dec11.html


WEEK IN REVIEW (from the Washington Post)
Dec. 5-11
Sunday, December 12, 2004; Page C04

Dense Development Plans Approved Fairfax Assents to Project Near Vienna Station

"The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors gave unanimous approval to a developer's plan for a mini-city of more than 5,000 office workers and residents in a dense development near the Vienna Metro station.

Fairlee-MetroWest, to rise at the end of Metro's Orange Line in central Fairfax, would be the densest development within reach of Metro in the county's prosperous enclaves outside the Capital Beltway. The developers hope to replace what had been a neighborhood of 61 single-family homes on 56 acres, which they purchased and razed, with offices, stores and 2,250 homes in a dozen buildings up to 14 stories tall and luxury townhouses. Condominiums would sell for $400,000 to $800,000".

And another take on the story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles
/A58118-2004Dec11.html
(If you wanna read this and the Post bugs you to register, use www.bugmenot.com. They also have a Firefox extension which makes using the site extra easy).

Fucking $400,000-$800,000 for CONDOS???? I hate this town. The neigborhood they're flattening and replacing with this mess is literally about 200 yards from my front door. I've walked over there a number of times, watching the destruction, trying to find interesting subjects to take pictures of, feeling uncomfortable about the impending doom.

The most annoying thing to me is that they're presenting this "pack 'em in, charge 'em way too much for the real estate, and tax the shit outta 'em" as a way to stop sprawl. Hey, fuckheads, listen up...what do you think all the people who live near this metropolis are gonna do when you turn what used to be their suburbs into a pretend city/mini-mall hell? They're gonna do the same thing I am...they're gonna sprawl the fuck out of here...and fast!! Tho, I guess that's what you want to happen. Then you'll have more home sales at unreasonably high values and you'll reap the taxes (both sales and property taxes).

I guess the one thing that I'm greatful for in this situation is that I'm renting here.

So long, suckers.