Saturday, July 17, 2004

King Arthur: Totally entertaining. Totally recommended. Not really a *thinking* movie, but who needs all that thinking all the time?. Definitely had that Gladiator/Braveheart kinda feel. The knights were charming, rogueish and funny; the battle scenes epic; add in a hot chick with tribal tattoos, a halter top and a bow and arrow and what's not to love?! Tho in all honesty, it's amazing how every woman in 462AD is a grubby hag, except for the 'cleans-up-nicely' leading lady. I'm not saying we need more hag-ish co-stars or anything. Just pointing out the stereotype.

Couple of added bonuses: One of the main characters in the movie was that outta control foreign (German ?) guy, Mark from SLC Punk (another one of my favorite movies). Took me a little while to place him. Also, before the movie I got to see the trailer for AVP: Alien vs. Predator. There's a huge potential for this film to suck, but I'm still hugely looking forward to it and will definitely check it out.

Bottom line: This movie makes me want to shave my head again, get a bunch of tribal tats, and take up fencing (with broadswords). A+.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Or as I like to call it Crouching Tiger, Hidden jesus-christ-is-this-frigging-movie-ever-gonna-end?". When I originally saw this movie in the theaters, I really liked it. But seeing it again today, it was the movie that would never end. I guess 4 years ago, this moive was pretty advanced and cinamatically beautiful. But now, it's campy. Maybe it's just that I don't like
kung-fu movies, who knows. But the running on treetops and dance-fighting just didn't do it for me. It seemed like all the fighting was...i dunno...soft. The sword clashes were hard/realistic enough. But everything else about it was just poofy. I don't know how else to explain it.

I wanted to see this movie again with my 12 year old daughter. I'm trying to find movies and books that have strong women characters. There are enough movies where the women need rescuing. I expect my kid to have a better view of the world. I can only hope, I guess. I think she enjoyed the fight scenes enough, but I think the whole thing in general was a bit hard to follow.

Daredevil: It's been a while since I've seen this, but it was so fucking bad, I wanted to try and save other lost souls from having to endure it. Not even the hot chick in full leather outfit with martial arts knify-things could save the day. And I don't even hate Ben Afflick. Well...I didn't used to.

If I were kidnapped, tied to a chair, had my eyes stapled open and was forced to watch a television with this movie playing on it, I swear that I would find a way to chew out my own eyes.